CURRENT CONDITIONS COLLECTION
As the first of this three-piece Current Conditions collection, Pandemonium represents the mayhem I experienced while walking in my pasture in early Fall. The wind came on slowly during the first ten minutes and then the wind became stronger and very loud. Suddenly I was hit on the side of my face with a five-inch-long stick. Moments later more ground debris flurried up in swirls as the fine dust from earths dirt stuck to the hair on my arms. As I ran back to the house with both eyes squinting and head pointed down to my feet, I finally reached our back porch ramp and high-tailed it into the back door. After recovering from the trauma of the wildest windstorm I had ever been exposed to, hours later I walked into my art studio, opened my paints for a Fall colored pallet, opened a new canvas that my sister Sharifah donated to my studio, picked up five paint brushes and five pallet knives, two grease pencils and three Sharpies in different sizes.
I began the process by making marks with the Sharpies first, then letting them dry. Once the black marks were dry it was time to allow my imagination to flow. I began to visualize what had happened to me that day out in the pasture with those raging winds wreaking havoc on our land. I remembered many broken branches from our Russian Olive trees and the shrubs that decorated our environment. I also recalled the beautiful Indian yellow and orange leaves that blew past my face on the trail. The stems of the long leaves from the Russian Olive trees stuck to my heavy woven sweater that provided new and unique possibilities for something beautiful in my sketchbook.
This three-piece series of 36" x 36" original acrylics, oils, metallics and ink paintings is currently available for gallery exhibition, on loan in retail spaces such as restaurants and clothing stores, local museums and Southwest Montana art events.


Comments
Post a Comment