LORELEI


 
LORELEI

13" x 19"
Acrylics and Oils on Photo Paper

Why photo paper, you ask? Good question! Who in their right mind paints on glossy photo paper? Well...I do! Here's how the story goes about Lorelei.

Lorelei was created with left over paint from a painting I had just recently finished. I had quite a lot of paint on the pallet. I looked down at the colors and asked myself, 'what am I going to do with this?'  Well, here's the true story.

Have you ever purchased those wonderful little fruit cups that come in those darling little plastic cups? If so, you know what I'm talking about. My husband loves those fruit cups, so we always stock up on them. I particularly love them because they serve two purposes; first is to feed us. Second is to repurpose those little cups into paint pots for my studio! I literally have stacks and stacks of the little round fruit cups sitting on the edge of my wall easel. The truth is that I throw very little away because items such as a fruit cup can save an art studio tons of money. Saving money is an artist's number one goal, given how expensive it is to be an artist.

Getting back on track, Lorelei's color pallet is a combination of a few of my favorite colors; Indian Yellow. Turquoise Blue, which is faded down with Titanium White. Magenta. Grass Green. Lemon Yellow. 

The most interesting thing about Lorelei is that Lorelei actually was an experiment due to a huge mistake on my part.
In 2020 I placed an order on one of my favorite art stores online. One of the items in my shopping cart was a book of art paper, 50 sheets in total. I had been running very low on paper so I always, as usual, shop around on the internet because I live in a very rural place and the closest art store to me is an hour away.

While I was searching for art paper online, I came across a deal (always follow the deals!) on a box of 13" x 19" "FINE ART" paper. For some strange reason my eyes only noticed the words "fine art," instead of also seeing the words fine art and PHOTO paper. And the paper wasn't just titled fine art and photo paper; it was titled INKJET fine art and photo paper. The fact that I didn't bother to read the label on the cover of the 13" x 19" box that housed fifty sheets of "fine art" paper was mind blowing! What was I thinking? Well, as usual, I was thinking about the composition of my next painting. That's all I'm ever thinking about, if truth be told.

When I opened the box of the photo paper I about fainted when I realized that the paper was for photography. I was so disappointed in myself, I was mad at me because not only am I an artist, I am also a photographer, so I should have known better. However, I realized that I should stop beating myself up over the purchase mistake and when I did, curiosity took hold of my imagination, therefore I decided to pull out a sheet to test my paints on. I just had to know if glossy photo paper would accept acrylics and oil paints. I just had to know!

I laid the sheet down onto my art table. I used blue art tape to cover the one-inch edges that I usually tape down on paper pieces. After the taping was finished, I decided to begin my experiment by painting a thin layer of white gesso over the photo paper, then I let it dry. Honestly, I was a bit worried because the Canson photo paper was the thinnest paper I had ever torn out of a box of "art paper."  

I was somewhat surprised by the paper because it actually absorbed the gesso very well. This sparked hope and gratitude within my soul because I felt so stupid about the purchasing mistake I had made! Also, I was relieved that I wasn't tossing out a lot of money that I used to pay for the paper because the dimensions of the paper were much larger than my printer would take. 

One thing led to another as I used six colors of paint to create a unique abstract painting.

Tools used to create Lorelei were very giving on the Canson photo paper; roller sponges, pallet knives, natural paint brushes.
Paints that I used; Nova Color Paint, Liquitex Paint, Liquitex Varnish.

Lorelei is framed in a lovely black frame and she ready to go! If you are interested in purchasing Lorelei or any other of my available paintings, please let me know by sending an email requesting to purchase Lorelei at susierossowolf@gmail.com and sharing your email with me so I can get back to you!

Let art paint your day!

-Susie Rosso Wolf 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PORTRAIT OF AN ARTIST: The Abstract of Susie Wolf, Created by Ethan Kaull Videography

ALONG THE GALLATIN

ROSANN'S TONE POEM